Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I've found a go to bun recipe over the last few months since the baby has been born. A mix of my old favorite over night bun recipe I got from a blog, (I'm sorry I don't remember) and a newer bun recipe that I found last Thanksgiving for quick fast rising buns. Even people that find yeast to be a thing of great confusion, I believe, can do these buns. 

There is one thing that I think you should know about me though. Baking for me, is much like when I'm doing anything else, I try to find a way to make it my own. I can't just let the dough be. There MUST be something in it. I must do something with it that can be either ordinary or new (at least for me). So, I will give you my recipe and list a few things that I do with it that have been a hit. And will list more in the future to also give you ideas. 






Quick roll recipe
Makes 12 buns


-Starter- 
1 stick of butter
1 cup of luke warm water
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 tsp of yeast

- Dough-
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups of flour, and 1/2 to 1 cup more for kneading

Firstly, preheat oven to 375F. Then melt butter and mix with luke warm water and sugar in large bowl. Stir in 2 tsp of yeast and let it sit on your counter undisturbed for 15 minutes.
There should be a bubbly mixture in your bowl when you go back to check on it. 
Add 1 egg and 1 cup of flour in and mix with fork. Continue to add in flour until 3 1/2 cups is worked into the dough. 
Sprinkle out some flour onto your work surface and place the dough on it. Knead for 3-5 minutes, sprinkling flour on, and working in as needed. Viola! It is o.k. if the dough is still sticky at this point! Yes, your hands and counter top will get dirty, but lets face it. We'd all rather have moist dough than dry dough right?
Take your dough and split it until you have 12 blobs and make those suckers into balls by rolling them around in your hands. Place them on a cookie sheet or in a pan if you want them squared and let sit on top of the stove for 10-30 minutes until puffed. We don't want them double the sized, we want them just a little more puffy than they were. 
Stick them in your 375F oven and bake 10-15 minutes. Take them out when you see the golden tops. And lather some butter on top of those suckers.



I'm going to go ahead and stick in the baby and my favorite way to stuff these buns. I really don't have a name for them but I can tell you, come the end of the day, they are gone. Hand her a bun and don't you dare  try to take it off of her. 



When you split the dough into 12 portions, flatten them out by pressing your palm into them until they are a small disk. Then in a bowl mix 1 softened cream cheese, 1 cup of pizza cheese shredded, and as much bacon as desired (I use about 6-7 pieces chopped). Portion these out onto your dough and close up and turn over. Bake for 12 minutes and they come out like the picture below. And don't forget to give those buns a lather of butter on top. 




If you aren't going to eat these buns right away my suggestion is to bag them after ten minutes only. Yes, only ten minutes. Close that bag up and let the steam soften them into little dreamy bites of goodness. And refrigerate after a half an hour. You can freeze them even. Just thaw them and warm them up in the microwave when needed.

Hope you're having a lovely fall day!

- Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment